How To Choose The Right Silk Duvet?
Why there are so much difference in price of silk duvet? We hope the following information will help you to make a right decision.
- Cotton casings: the most popular and economical, Choose the cotton febric above 250 TC(Thread Count).
- Silk casings: ideal, but pricy. A silk casing should have at least 19momme. Lower than 19momme you could encounter durability issues.
- Long-fibre mulberry silk , short-fibre poor mulberry silk, wild silk( Tussah Silk) or silk waste
- Hand extracted silk ﬁlling, machine extracted long ﬁbre silk ﬁlling, chopped short ﬁbre silk ﬁlling…
Puur mulberry silk is finer and feels very soft and has a natural pearl colour. It smells fresh. Tussah silk (wild silk) are rougher, coarser and have a brown colour and is less luxury as filling for silk duvets. Treated tussah has pale color, and disordered texture.
Hand extracted long mulberry silk is washed and stretched by hand, natural dried in the air. There are no additives, softeners or bleach added. It smells fresh and has a natural colour. Many layers are used to make one duvet ﬁlling, between layers is air trapped. Hence these duvets are more airy, softer and springier. They are far superior in comfort, durability, quality and beneﬁcial for the health.
Machine extracted silk can be produced quickly. Less air is trapped and chemicals have been used to whiten the silk and to make it softer and ﬂuffier. Thus it feels heavier with less spring.
Machine silk has a whitish colour. This cheaper, streamlined, industrial process of silk extraction means a loss of the beneﬁts associated with silk ﬁllings produced by the traditional methods: the health, anti-allergy properties and the environmental advantages
Long-fibre mulberry silk is what you should be looking for in your duvet. Cheaper silk duvets are almost filled with chopped strand silk which is essentially off cuts of silk that can't be used for anything else.
The weight of silk filling: Our silk duvet has three weights:
- (180 gr / m²) is ideal for the hot season (sommer)
- (320 gr / m²) is ideal for mid-season
- (180 + 320 gr / m²) consists of a summer duvet and a mid-season duvet to use separately or together to get a very warm duvet for the winter.
A good silk duvet will have an long inspection zip where we can inspect the quality of silk inside the duvet.
With or without stitching (quilt)
silk duvet with stitching tread or modeling is mainly the relatively low quality product made of short silk thread, mechanically processed silk or spun silk waste, herefore must always be stitched to prevent the filling slips. The silkfilling is compressed and less airy. High-quality silk quilt needs no stitching, is not quilted. Since the silk thread always runs the entire width of the duvet, it must only stitched on the edge and some romdom point, the the filling will be on place.
Silkmood ONLY use hand extracted long–fibre mulberry silk and our silk duvet needs no stitching, so our silk qulit are airy, fluffy and soft.
Our products have Oeko-Tex Standard 100 Certiﬁcation issued by the European independent textile testing authority.